Saturday, September 13, 2008

"¿Cuándo vienes?"

By far, the most common question that I am asked by my friends in Tijuana has been “¿Cuándo vienes?” “When are you coming back?”

I heard from someone who visited the Asilo just the other day; the ancianos (elderly) were asking yet again, as they apparently always do: “¿Y Magi, cuándo viene?”

Over the years, this question has been asked with greater frequency by those on the other side of the border as well: “When are you going back to Mexico?” Whether they ask with anticipation or with trepidation, they have known to ask!

And since my very first summer in Tijuana at the Asilo, I have asked this same question many times of my God: “When will You bring me back there again?”

The answer that I usually have to give to those that ask is "I don't know yet." Because the answer that God has most often given me, especially recently, is "wait..."

But now He has told me to go, to move forward, to take these next steps towards returning to Tijuana once again. Now I can answer that I am indeed going; finally I can tell my friends in Tijuana and send word to the ancianos that I am coming back, and not only that, but I’m going to stay awhile!

So even though I’m still being asked the same question, even more often now, and even though I still don’t know exactly when I’ll leave here and arrive there, at least I know the direction that I’m going...

And so if you yourself are wondering when I might go: I have been approved to go directly to my ministry placement – that is, the Asilo in Tijuana – without going to language school. Basically, as soon as my financial support is at 100%, I can go to Mexico. Because of doctors’ appointments and a missionary training, the very earliest that I'd go would be sometime in February. So far, that’s my best answer! But please, keep asking the questions!

No comments: